You have probably heard about electric bikes (e-bikes) and the improvements the industry has made over the past couple of years. If you are curious, ask a couple of questions before purchasing an e-bike and the fun adventures ahead.
First, ask yourself, how will I use an electric bike
- maybe commuting to work, running errands, and/or hauling cargo
- bike touring or just some recreational riding to stay active
- spending more time on off-road trails
- assist me while rehabbing after a sports injury?
- will an e-bike make it easier for me to stay active
- make it more enjoyable, especially when dealing with hills and headwinds
- help so I can keep up with my friends who ride faster?
As electric bike technology continues to progress quickly, with lighter batteries and offer you a better range between charges, the options are endless. Today there are bikes for every conceivable application, from hauling cargo to making a climb on a mountain bike a breeze.
Geared to accommodate different kinds of activities (cargo-hauling; relaxed cruising; trail riding; mountain biking; child transportation; road biking; fat bike riding; touring; and urban commuting), they make biking fun. With so many e-bikes on the market today, you will find design options that vary to fit different people and their preferred use. It’s up to you to decide what is most important. Is it the ease of riding, the cost; maintenance; dependability; range – or the above? With so many models on the market to choose from, first, figure out where you will be riding, and then how often?
Now that you have a list visit a few bike shops to see the brands they carry. Or, attend the e-Bike Challenge on April 2 & 3, or see the video below.