You have probably read or heard about electric bikes (e-bikes) and the improvements that have been made over the past couple of years. If you are curious and would like to check them out, you need to ask a couple of questions before purchasing one and having some fun.
First ask yourself, how will I use an electric bike
- maybe commuting to work, running errands and/or hauling cargo
- bike touring or just some recreational riding to stay active
- spending more time on off-road trails
- assist me while rehabbing after a sports injury?
- will an e-bike make it easier for me to stay active
- make it more enjoyable, especially when dealing with hills and headwinds
- help so I can keep up with my friends who ride faster?
As electric bike technology continues to progress quickly, with batteries that are lighter and offer you a better range between charges, the options are endless. Today there are bikes for every conceivable application, from hauling cargo to making a climb on a mountain bike a breeze.
Geared to accommodate different kinds of activities (cargo hauling; relaxed cruising; trail riding; mountain biking; child transportation; road biking; fat bike riding; touring; and urban commuting) they make biking fun. With so many e-bikes on the market today, you will find design options that vary to fit different people and their preferred use. It’s up to you to decide what is most important. Is it the ease of riding; the cost; maintenance; dependability; range – or the above? With so many models on the market to choose from, first, figure out where you are going to be riding, and then how often?
Now that you have a list, visit a few bike shops to see the brands they carry. Or, attend the e-Bike Challenge, March 23-24, see video below.